|Our Core Beliefs
- 1.We believe in God, the Good--Omnipotence, Omniscience, Omnipresence,
and Omnibenevolence--Our Father-Mother God, Divine Mind, in Whom "we live
and move and have our being (Acts 17:28, NAB). We believe that God-Mind is
primary and causative, and we believe in the supremacy and eternity of the
- 2.We believe in Christ, the Son of God, the perfect Word or Idea of God, that
abides in each person as potential perfection.
- 3.We believe in Jesus Christ, the Head of our Church, the Son of God made
manifest in Jesus of Nazareth, the embodiment of all divine ideas, which exists
externally in Divine Mind.
- 4.We believe in the Holy Spirit--the whole Spirit of God in action, God's love
and grace ever ready to be poured out in spiritual baptism upon all who
receptively look to it for guidance.
- 5.We believe in the Holy Trinity of God (Father-Mother): Mind, Idea (the Christ)
and Expression (Holy Spirit): we believe that the whole Spirit of God is with us
at all times, everywhere.
- 6.We believe in the trinity of humankind: the threefold nature of each person
as Spirit (Superconscious or Christ Mind), soul (or mind, including conscious
and subconscious), and body (including all that appears in this plane of
- 7.We believe that the kingdom of heaven or harmony is within the individual,
and that through each person the law and order existing in Divine Mind are to
be established on earth.
- 8.We believe that the way to the full experience and expression of the kingdom
of heaven is not through any material object or personality, but only through
the indwelling Christ.
- 9.We believe that the "second coming" of Jesus Christ is now being fulfilled,
that His Spirit is quickening the whole world.
- 10.We believe that God's will for us is good and only good, including
illumination, wholeness, prosperity, harmony, peace and joy, and that God "is
pleased to give (us) the kingdom" (Lk 12:32, NAB)
- 11.We believe that we are created "in the divine image" (Genesis 2:27, NAB),
and therefore are co-creators with God, endowed with free will and spiritual
- 12.We believe that divine intelligence is always present in every atom of
humankind and matter.
- 13.We believe in the creative power of thoughts and words, whether spoken or
- 14.We believe in the power of prayer to illumine, heal, prosper, and bless
unlimited by time and space.
- 15.We believe in the law of mind action: that thoughts held in mind reproduce
after their kind.
- 16.We believe in the Golden Rule: "Do unto others whatever you would have
them do to you" (Mt. 7:12 NAB) as our standard of life.
- 17.We believe we are to follow Jesus Christ in the Regeneration--the unification
of Spirit, soul, and body in eternal spiritual oneness, or unity.
- 18.We believe all the doctrines of Christianity, spiritually interpreted, and agree
with the universal Truth evident in all religions, for each one is a path to God.
- 19.We believe that the Holy Bible testifies to the Word of God, the Truth that
is echoed in all scriptures.
- 20.We believe that it is our divine purpose to provide a setting where the Word
of Truth is spoken, according to our highest understanding of the teachings of
Jesus Christ in the tradition of Charles and Myrtle Fillmore, co-founders of the
Unity Movement, and others of like mind, for the Word of Truth illumines,
heals, prospers, and frees. "You will know the truth, and the truth will set you
free." (Jn 8:32, NAB)
- 21.We believe that Spirit of Unity Church is a ministry for spiritual learning and
healing in mind and in body, and a place of happiness of peace, where the love
offering plan is taught and practiced. We teach and practice the Christ
principles of tithing in appreciation for spiritual food, and we know that Truth is
priceless. God is our instant, constant and abundant Source, and we are
"The creed that you write today may not fit the
viewpoint of tomorrow; hence the safe and sure religious foundation for all
men that laid down by Jesus, 'The Spirit of Truth...shall guide you into all the
truth.' A statement setting forth the teaching of a religious institution is
essential, but compelling clauses should be omitted."
Charles Fillmore, The Twelve Powers of Man
The Statement of Faith composed by Charles Fillmore was published by Unity
School throughout his life experience on this plane, and is the basis for the
above Statement of Faith. Those who follow the Unity teachings are in no way
compelled to accept this or any statement of faith, yet these ideas are set
down as a standard of belief, that this congregation affirms as representing
the fundamental teachings of Unity. We realize that our Statement of Faith is
not written in stone, but rather, is always open to the guidance of the Holy
Spirit. Members of our spiritual family who feel led to propose changes in this
document are invited to submit their proposals in writing to the Minister of the
church by December 1 of any year. Then during that December, these
proposals will be prayerfully considered and put before the full membership for
ratification at the next Annual Meeting in January of that year.
This Unity Church Statement of Faith was written by the Reverend Leddy
Hammock, based on the Statement of Faith written by Charles Fillmore, and
published by Unity School of Christianity until 1984.